Gifts for those who have everything
Hate boring gifts? Me too!
Hate boring gifts? You have been wracking your brain. You have spent hours searching the Internet for ideas, inspiration and have come up empty handed; and you hate boring gifts. A piece of artwork is an amazing gift, even for someone who has everything. Artwork is a thoughtful Christmas gift. It shows thought, effort and a knack for gift giving. The thought of giving artwork may seem overwhelming at first., but how many times have you seen a picture and thought, “WOW, that would be perfect for him or her.” Or maybe you’ve seen a photograph and immediately knew the individual who would appreciate it and love to have it in their home.
Art is a great Christmas gift for him, for her and for a loved one.
Read more to see why giving the gift of a piece of artwork is the perfect gift!
Few gifts are more memorable than art and taking the time to choose art fo someone special is an excellent way to show how much they mean to you. Art makes a timeless and thoughtful gift.
2020 has been a difficult year for most. Our worlds have been turned upside down and our lives are no longer “normal”. This holiday season, you may not be rushing to the mall to shop. So plan your holiday shopping early.
History of giving artwork
The first photograph was developed in 1826, and long before that we have preserved images capturing emotions and freeze a moment in time. Before photography, people used sculpture, paintings, drawings. Even the stone age wrote on walls and these hieroglyphics are important to history today. Throughout history, people wanted stories, events, places, memories to be remembered in the future. It is no different today. We photograph to remember people, relationships, objects, events, and places and keep the memories alive.
When to give art
Art is a terrific and thoughtful Christmas gift for any occasion. A baby shower, a wedding gift, a thank you, and birthday gift, a gift for a loved one and of course Christmas and Hanukah.
Art is a great gift for a loved one, a mentor, a special friend, or a co-worker.
Where do you start? Here are some tips for selecting wall art.
- Think about the recipient’s personal taste. Buying an abstract picture would not work for someone that likes nature, farmhouse, or classical prints. Buy for their taste, not yours.
- Is there a special vacation or place they like? A gift signifying that place shows you care, you listened and preserving memories are important to you.
- Make it unique. A print sold in bulk from a department store is not unique. A print sold from a photographer is unique.
- Think about how their home or office is decorated. Find art that will match or complement what they already have.
- Would they live to preserve memories of a great vacation
- What do they like to do in their free time? Hikers like nature prints, beach lovers like beach and ocean prints, wildlife lovers like pictures of wildlife.
- If you have several selections, go with your first instinct. Nine times out of 10 it is the right choice.
- Don’t solicite too many opinions. Chances are you know your recipient better than most of your friends.
- Think about their wall space when selecting a size. Don’t buy a 30×40 print if they have small wall areas for pictures.
- Match their colors and decor. Don’t overthink this. Just take a look at the house or office and make sure the art you are giving has at least SOME of the same colors in it.
- Always frame the art, or buy a metal print that is ready to hang. Metal is a modern, sophisticated look and goes with most homes today.
Remember that original art makes a special – and potentially valuable – thoughtful Christmas gift for people of any age.
For the wildlife lover
Gifts for the national park lover
Inspirational quotes gifts
Farmhouse decor – create a no girls allowed room scene
For someone who likes a classic painterly picture
Barn lover gifts
For the nature lover
Modern landscape gifts
Consider giving a thoughtful, well planned gift of wall art this holiday season. Happy Holidays to all of you!
Debbi Marquette Photography is located in Upstate New York at the foothills of the Adirondack Mountains. Debbi is an award winning and published travel, landscape and bald eagle photographer specializing in artistic, authentic, and memorable landscape and wildlife photography. She travels frequently, lives near the mountains and constantly has a camera in her hand to capture photographs so others can see the beauty of our world.
Capture Moments: Share Stories.